Saturday, August 15, 2009

Gulkand Malai Kulfi- Recipe Marathon Day 1


I understand how people get attached to their blogs. Its so much more than a virtual space, a friend who waits for you, ungrudging, while you deal with your life. Never judging or criticising, just asking for a visit, every once in a while. Yeah, I can see how that bond has power over me.


It has been silent on the cooking front for a while now, my indulgent cooking giving way to quick fix meals and more often than not, a hurried slice of pizza in the school cafeteria.
However, what better way to finish the year off than with a return to the old lifestyle with Nupur's Recipe Marathon!
7 days, 7 recipes, 28 (at the last count) participants!
Here is a recipe that was languishing in my folder for a while now. I made it when summer was on its way out and leaves were already changing color. Rich and creamy with the wonderful floral notes from dried rose petals, its a dessert I crave just as much in the brutal NY winters too. Gulkand is somewhat like a preserve made from dried rose petals and sugar, one of those rare things that are good for you that also taste good. I love it plain, but the I have to admit that the kulfi is sinfully delicious.
I used a modified version of this recipe from Allrecipes, although you can hardly go wrong with just Gulkand, cream and a little bit of sugar. Also, it was just enough for two, you might want to bump up the measurements if you are serving more.
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups light cream
4-5 tablespoons Gulkand
2 drops Rose essence.
I skipped the bread and any other flavors in the Kulfi; I wanted it to taste like the creamier version of Gulkand but you could add cardamom. Boil the cream, add Gulkand, stir in evaporated milk and rose essence and chill. Try some heavy cream if you are feeling brave, and sugar if you like your desserts extra sweet. And that's it!
The process is simple but the star ingredient can be a little elusive, so if you can't arm twist anybody from India to carry Gulkand for you, I have seen some canned stuff in Indian stores. Having never tried it, I can't really vouch for it, but its sugar and rose petals. That combination cannot be wrong!
So, hope you have a fantastic holiday season and I will see you tomorrow for Day 2 of the marathon!

4 comments:

Deepa G Joshi

hey Manasi, love this kulfi.Would definitely try during this winter..It fun to have ice creams during winters!!

Nupur

Beautiful recipe to kick off the marathon! I agree- gulkand kulfi is something special.

Sheetal Kiran

Baaaaawwwwling .... down with a cold, cannot make kulfi :(:( sounds so creamy and delicious Manasi!

I am going to kick-off the marathon on my blog in a couple of hours too :D ... On another note, welcome back!! You and your posts have been very, very missed!

mysterious.shopper

Hey Manasi your blog is real treat to my eyes. Esp. when I am low and miss home and mom's cooked food, I log on your blog and voila!!
Love the nectarine cake sight, will try my culinary skills once you are free to pick my phones during emergency, u r no wonder on my speed dial...my 911 CEC (Cooking Emergency Cop). Keep up the good work, though I have not done anything to get you to this point but still I wanna conclude with - I AM PROUD OF YOU MY BACCHA!

You know who...

Kiss the cook!   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP